Friday, December 31, 2010

Flowers, Dots and What-Nots

I'm getting to a new stage in collecting old clothing.
I'm forgetting where I've picked up many of my second-hand bits and pieces.
It's a bit sad really as so much of the pleasure in wearing something I love is remembering where I got it from, recalling the thrill of pouncing on a treasure, the delight in finding out it fits and then giving it some playtime with its new wardrobe pals.
I made the navy, spotted skirt recently but I can't for the life of me remember where I got the white, 1970s, Mexican-style, embroidered top or the 1970s tooled leather handbag with the chunky buckle.
So annoying.


But I'll never forget finding the boots.
They're tricky to snap using Photo Booth but I've given it my best shot.


My god, they're straight out of the late 1970s!



They're fully lined in a gorgeous black and white cotton paisley.


I was at my local shoe repairer called The Shoe Hospital earlier this year, an incredibly charming old-school repair shop straight out of the 1940s.
It's a bit gloomy and a little dusty and has ancient, wrap-around glass and wooden counters, old signage and Brad the repairer/shoe-maker, a young guy who will tell you honestly whether your shoes are repairable or a lost cause (goodbye ruined black platforms!).
I digress.
I spotted these darlings in the window with other pairs of boots and old shoes lovingly restored by Brad and up for grabs!
They fit my size 10 giant canoe feet - thank you god!
Twenty-five bucks later, they were mine, all mine.
The brown and black leather seems to be woven into a zigzag pattern and they fit perfectly around the ankles.
They're labelled "Zerep - Made in Spain".
I seem to get more wear out of them in the summer months as the cotton lining is cool and I love the look of these boots with shorter skirts and dress.
They want to be seen, not covered up with winter trousers and maxi skirts.


This was taken before stepping out the door to run a stack of pre-New Year errands today.
(Little one reading patiently in the background there).




The hat seems to be either Indian or Middle Eastern - navy velvet with gold cord embroidery and mirrors.
It cost $1.
I wear it constantly.


As for the other details, I piled on metal bangles, rings, a yellow bead and seed African necklace plus an 1950s orange glass bead necklace and shocking blue feather earrings.



The bag has been screaming to be used - isn't it lovely?
It's really sturdy and I love the strap length, the tooling and metal wear.



So much colour with which to greet the New Year - goodbye 2010 you rotten old bugger, hello 2011 you minx!! 
I wish you a year of wonder and excitement all you gorgeous creatures.
Desiree xoxo

19 comments:

  1. thank you dear,for the lovely words!

    i`m following you too!

    Wish you amazing New Year!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bag and loving those 70's boots - we used to have a couple of shoe stores in Dublin called Zerep... I wonder if it's the same? Happy 2011! xxx Comtesse xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely outfit, but I really have fallen in love with your boots, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so amazing.
    have a wonderful start of 2011 my dear, dear friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year sweetie! I love your dotty skirt and your fabulous 70s hippy gear - just managed to catch up with the video of you where you said you made the skirt yourself - you talented thing! I loved the video too btw.
    Hope you enjoy ringing in 2011 whatever you get up too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much!! i love interesting editorials i also LOVE interesting hats, especially ones which are baragins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you ever anything less than AMAZING!!I absolutely love this top! It looks gorgeous with the skirt! I remember carrying a leather purse like this in middle school! Happy New Year girly! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 2011, you beautiful woman! You're a year ahead of me now.
    I love those boots sooooo much. I've got big hooves, too just in case you ever get bored of them...hahah! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful boots and a gorgeous bag too! Happy New Year ... :0)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello gorgeous! So funny, I've gotten to that same point with my vintage and yep, it's quite frustrating to pull up a memory so quickly for some things and not a shadow of one for others. Drives me mad! Otoh, maybe these are things that we're supposed to make our own memories? Love how you glam everything up!
    Happy New Year!!!
    XXX!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lining on those boots is amazing. This may sound silly, but I love when clothes hide little surprises like that. I hope you have a very happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing more of your incredible, unique style in 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wish you a happy new year =D !!

    love sunbeam

    ReplyDelete
  12. the hat and the blouse! I have the same problem remembering where certain items came from, although it is reliably always a thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Desiree,

    Thank you SO MUCH for your wonderful comment - I LOVE your blog too!

    I couldn't agree more re saying goodbye to rotten old 2010 and welcoming 2011. I had a bit of a stinker of a year and this year is going to be FABULOUS.

    Wow - those boots are AMAZING! And how wonderful that you can wear them in summer to show them off.

    Happy New Year to you, lovely new friend!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay,fab styley wench is back!! I've been off the track a bit lately,what with partying and so on!!Obviously you have a new camera-thank GOD,as I was going to go mad without your regular style lessons/inspirations!
    Love the bag and boots especially,but my o my,you have a special way with putting things together!! Love it!
    Happy New Year!!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. ou thank you :)
    & visit my new blog if you want =D !!

    http://markenundmenschen.blogspot.com/

    love sunbeam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, thanks for the vote! Isn't it horrible having big canoe feet? Nothing is ever in my size when I see a sale or amazing vintage ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the folklore style blouse, and the boots are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those boots are just too much with the paisley lining! What a find! I remember so well the style of the blouse and bag; I had a few. Those damn bags will never die! Happy and healthy New yEAR to you and yours~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Desiree,
    Happy new year to you my lovely, may 2011 bring you lots of happiness & fun fun fun!
    Thank you for being such an awesome & inspirational blogger...looking forward to much more from where that came from :)
    Take care & lot's of love,
    Jem
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete

Just do it ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...